Regeneration

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

The period saw the building in a poor state. No real upkeep having been completed since the 1930s. Of the original consortium Henry Sexton and Sir George Ernest White remained, but sadly Alan Rees Colman died in a flying accident while on active service. Despite the circumstances and the condition of the building Henry Sexton wasn’t put off, and whilst in discussion with another enthusiastic supporter Arnold Kent, they started to imagine a different future for the buildings. One where the Assembly House became a centre of the arts. A Committee was formed chaired by J.B. Hales, with Arnold Kent, Nugent Monck, Reginald Pareezer and Andrew Stephenson representing interested parties from theatre, arts, film, education and entertainment.

A preliminary report was presented in June 1943. The initial aims were to acquire and restore the Assembly Rooms, add a theatre and cinema, with the premises given to trustees for the use of the City of Norwich’s a centre for the arts. Part of the original plan was to transfer the Norwich Players from the Maddermarket Theatre to the Theatre in the centre, with the Maddermarket Theatre Trust running it  with the assistance of the council. The Theatre was planned for the Noverre Ballroom. The centre would also be made available for concerts, recitals and art exhibitions. One proposal was for a gallery for the collection of Norwich School paintings held by the Colman family.

There were negotiations due to the differing views on how the Trust should be comprised and whether it should be presented to and run by the city or if it would fair better as an Independent Trust. Sir Ernest sold his share to Henry Sexton. In March 1945 The H.J.Sexton Norwich Arts Trust was formed. The members were Henry Sand Eric Sexton, Herbert Gowen, Charles Hammond, Percy Jewson MP, Frederick Jex, Arnold Kent, Walter Nugent Monck, and Edward Williamson the Lord Mayor of Norwich. Architects Charles Holloway James and Sir Stephen Roland Pierce who had designed City Hall were appointed to prepare plans, although Pierce solely completed them.

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

boy fountain 1200pxThe state of the building was also a problem with Pierce commenting he had to ‘battle with decay, dry rot beetles, neglect and blitz’.  Rot appeared everywhere, foundations had been sliced into for previous alterations, there were areas that required underpinning, ceilings falling in and damp. On the plus side, the two story section added to the Noverre Ballroom to house classrooms made a perfect projection room at the exact height required for raked seating. The theatre had to be abandoned due to conversion costs, a disappointment give the original vision of it extending the work of the Maddermarket.

Some areas of the original Ivory house had vanished forever, the stairs in particular had been removed a century before. Caball had made few changes in his tenure and the High School had made a few but nothing dramatic; partitioning in the Music Room was removed. The organ gallery was altered, the school had added a few areas such as laboratories which were repurposed. The Steward’s house was demolished to make way for cloakrooms. The east wing which retains elements of its Elizabethan structure was repaired and renovated part of which now forming the managers house. Outside the drive was resurfaced and the thicket of shrubs removed, the ironwork cleaned and repaired with the details picked out in gilt.

Programme 1980sFinally the rooms were named, commemorating people connected with the building’s heritage and history. Ivory, Bacon, Pierce, Kent, Messel and Sexton, with the Noverre Cinema replacing the ballroom. On the 23rd of November 1950, the Assembly House was finally presented to the people of Norwich as a centre for the arts. The final piece of the puzzle was put in place in 1954, The pool in the forecourt was instated and completed with James Woodford’s sculpture of a boy, his work already visible across the road at City Hall showing a series of reliefs on the main doors unwittingly perhaps tying the relationship between the city’s crafts, guilds and trades; the people that make the city and their shared history to the Assembly House.

For the next 45 years, the Assembly House played host to events, films and performances, dinners and meetings. Local arts groups using the spaces, with regular exhibitions, The Assembly House had again cemented it’s place in the city as a place to meet and get involved. and then on April 12th 1995 something terrible happened.

Noverre cinema 1

Noverre cinema 2

 

 

By | March 20th, 2017|heritage blogs|0 Comments

A High School, a warehouse and the advent of war.

As the twentieth century began the building was now established as a the Norwich High School for Girls. It had undergone minimal changes. A few extra walls were established to divide large rooms for classrooms, some work had been done to add bring in some more light, but the basic fabric and detailing of the building remained intact. The west wing was still owned and lived in by Frank Noverre, this was bought by the school along with the relatively newly built Noverre Ballroom in 1901.

Scan 15

Theatre Square at the front of the building was open to the road, a busy thoroughfare with a newly built tram line. It also appear to have been the school play ground. After some legal to-and-fro between the school and the city, a concession of a small area was allocated to the highway and the area was fenced off with the railings and gates we see today. The only change is the original lamps which surmounted them were found after renovation work later in the century and fixed on the front of the building.

In 1933 the High School moved to more spacious grounds at Eaton Grove, Newmarket Road, formerly the house of John Harrison Yallop, Alderman and Mayor of Norwich.

The buildings again up for sale, it transpired that the School Trust had made an application to develop the site and a local company registered an interest in buying it, but only if it could be developed, the buildings did not sell. Despite being registered as an ancient monument it was felt further action was needed to ensure the property was adequately protected. A meeting between the Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Trust and the Norwich Society in 1935 resulted in a resolution being passed to preserve the Assembly House for the city.

‘the buildings very fine examples of the style of the middle of the eighteenth century and of local (if not national) importance being the work of the architect Thomas Ivory and being connected since its erection in 1754 with the history of the city: also this site and the fourteenth century crypt beneath it preserve the memory of the meeting place of one of the earliest Civic Assemblies in the kingdom.’

The building was saved from destruction, but that was all. But still it stood more of less empty, gradually declining. Being mortgaged it was important that the debt was serviced, parts were rented out. The Ivory Rooms became a warehouse for bicycles and other parts of the building were used as stores for Caleys, while the western wing was being used the YMCA as a hostel.

It was in 1938 that a consortium including H.J. Sexton, Sir George White and Alan Rees Colman bought the building with plans for expanding it’s use with the YMCA and YWCA. Boardman and Son were asked to prepare plans. A variety of options were looked at including building a Lecture Hall and Theatre on the car park and proposals to use the Noverre Ballroom and the Music Room as women’s and men’s gymnasiums. These were all promptly shelved as the Second World War loomed. The building remained partially empty and decaying.

Scan 12b

by Gordon Anthony, bromide print, 1937

by Gordon Anthony, bromide print, 1937

By good fortune whilst working for the War Office Oliver Messel, the eminent stage, film set designer, was posted to Norwich. He had a studio in 70 Bishopsgate and a workshop for the unit in the shed behind the former workshop of J Short near the cathedral which had already been requisitioned. He took to exploring the city, and at some time in 1940 chanced upon the Assembly Rooms in a then semi-derelict state. He was apparently rather taken with what he found. It would appear that on his advice the buildings were requisitioned that December and became the Eastern Command Camouflage Office and Camouflage factory. Roland Penrose the surrealist lectured to the officers and men at the Assembly House. It was at Messel’s insistence that Christopher Hussey visited and wrote about the building for Country Life and he also alerted his brother in law at the Georgian Society of the buildings historical importance.

The building changed suddenly under the command of Lieutenant Vivian De Sola Pinto, the poet, literary critic and historian who fought alongside Sassoon during the Great War. The rooms were cleared of bikes and furniture. Paint, canvas and hessian and plaster replaced dust and old school fittings. Camouflage patterns and models laid out on the huge floorspace and along the walls where festoons, drapes and portraits had hung over a century before.

On nights of the 27th/28th and the 19th/30th of April 1942, the Luftwaffe attacked Norwich in earnest. On the first night the Baedeker raids focused on transport, industry and residential properties. After a 24 hour lull the bombing started again, this time moving onto the commercial centre of the city. Dornier’s and Junkers swept in splitting roofs open with high explosives and then dumped incendiaries into the gaps starting a mini-firestorm that raged across the centre of the city. Buntings, Woolworths and Curls burnt out, Caley’s chocolate factory behind The Assembly House was reduced to heat distorted walls and smoking rubble, the smell of burnt sugar mixing with woodsmoke. Fires raged around the Assembly House.

Blitz Caleys 1942

Messel fortunately had noted the lack of any fire watch on the building and had instated one, the men dealt with several incendiaries which hit the main body of the building, there was some damage, but most of it was minor and reparable. Life and work went on.

Norwich blitz from castle 1942

In 1944 as the South and East of England filled with D-Day troops, Messel organised an event, the building was dressed appropriately using props created using the men’s camouflage skills, theatre design and lighting techniques. Local dignitaries and the military were invited so they may see the beauty and importance of it. By highlighting the building, Messel paved the way, and H. J. Sexton climbed into the driver’s seat and drove it into the post war period.

 

Scan 13d

Scan 13a

Photos:
Feature image – The Girls High School, Banquet room 1922. (AHTPHP collection).
Image 2 –  The Girls High School, Banquet room 1922. (AHTPHP collection).
Images 3 – The Assembly House 1940s. (AHTPHP collection).
Image 4 – Oliver Messel by Yvonne Gregory (Wikipedia)

Image 5 – Caleys After the April 1942 attacks (IW collection, believed to be George Swain)
Image 6 – A view from the Castle Mound towards Caleys, the Assembly House and St Stephens across Orford Place, after the April 1942 attacks (IW collection, photographer unknown)

By | March 17th, 2017|heritage blogs|0 Comments

The decline of the Assembly

By the time the 1830s had arrived, changes in economic circumstances in Norfolk were changing as the whole country moved further and further into industrialisation it impacted on the local cloth and textiles industries. The growth of the railways also had an effect on the ease with which people could travel with London became much more of a focus for society families combined with Sessions Week started to lessen in importance. Norwich started to lose its central importance to the area and with it came a fall in income for the Assembly House as a venue.

Fanny_KembleDespite this decline, concerts, performances and dinners continued, but the guilds and political dinners were as often at St Andrew’s Hall or at popular inns in the city as they were at The Assembly House. Ticket prices for subscription dances were increased due falling attendance to cover the costs of subscription dances which gradually led to inevitable fall in demand.

Performances received a mixed reception. A Liszt concert in 1840 received very poor reviews across the country. While in January 1847 Fanny Kemble; the famous actress, diarist and abolitionist, latterly a friend of Amelia Opie; received some adulation for her performances of Shakespeares King John and Much ado about nothing. She appeared again in 1854 and April 1855.

In September 1851 The opening of the Norwich Waterworks was publicly celebrated.  The band of the Coldstream Guards played in the Market Place, 220 guests dined at the Assembly Rooms under the presidency of Mr. Samuel Bignold, the evening finished with Fireworks over the city with an estimate of 22,000 people attending.

Other performances included Walter Montgomery, ‘the son of a local man who repeated from memory his recital of Othello.’ In March 1856 a Peace Ball was held to celebrate the end of the war in the Crimea with a firework display in the Market Place and Castle Meadow. While in June ‘A panorama, with the present form of variety entertainment, was exhibited for the first time at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich, by Mr. J. Batchelder.’ The German Reeds also appeared regularly, favourite well known performers with shows such as  ‘After the Ball’ and ‘The Unfinished Opera’ and ‘Seaside studies’.

A-dream-of-venice

The rooms also continued to be used for meetings. There are various recorded examples. In 1851 there was a fiery Protestant meeting under the presidency of Mr. Samuel Bignold, ‘at which were adopted addresses to the Queen and the Archbishop of Canterbury, protesting against the aggression of the Pope, and condemning the Tractarian movement in the Church of England.’ another in 1858 was to determine ‘the advantages afforded by the Cambridge Middle Class examinations.  Sir J. P. Boileau presided.  The first examination was held at the Free Library, on December 14th, by Mr. H. M. Butler, when 31 boys were presented.’

Whilst the performances continued things were changing behind the scenes. In December 1855 the proprietors appointed new trustees to fill holes in the board. The property was transferred to a new Trust including Sir Robert John Harvey, Sir William Foster and Samuel Dalton. They were given the power to sell if required or to buy the freehold and hold it. And if it were sold the proceeds were to be divided between the proprietors.

William Schomberg Robert Kerr, the Marquess of Lothian owned many properties as part of various hereditary titles including Blickling Hall held the freehold. In June 1856  he sold this to the Trustees for £200. In September the Chapel Field Estate was put up for sale at a public auction in the Royal Hotel in Norwich Market Place. It did not immediately sell, so in 1857 the estate was broken up and sold in more manageable lots. The west wing with the garden to the west and north were sold to Frank Noverre. He in turn sold the garden to the north a year later. The Assembly Rooms and east wing were sold to Benjamin Bond Cabell. The documents dated June 22nd 1861 is the first which uses the name ‘Assembly House’. The Noverre family story is a particularly remarkable one which deserves a blog of its own.

Cabell was eighty years old when he bought the property. An interesting man educated at Westminster and Oxford, called to the Bar. He bcame deputy Lieutenant for Middlesex and Norfolk, represented St Albans and Boston as an MP a fellow of the Royal Society and was an acknowledged philanthropist and Freemason. All the Norwich lodges, except ironically the Union which had previously used Chapply Field House, met in these new rooms for free, And for the next 15 years the Assembly House was referred to as the Masonic hall or occasionally Freemasons’ Hall. Cabell lived in Cromer Hall and was qute well known for his local good works which included financing the building of Cromer lifeboat station and the building of a new lifeboat. As a result he has the distinction of having both the fourth and fifth lifeboats named after him.

2880px-Cromer_Lifeboat_Benjamin_Bond_Cabbell_ON12

In the autumn of 1872 the building was closed for repairs for nearly a year, these were apparently quite extensive and were probably due to lack of general upkeep over the previous decades. Cabell died in 1874 at the age of 92. He left the building to his cousin John Bond Cabell. Who in 1876 sold it, this time to the Girls Public Day Schools Trust. A new phase in the building’s history had begun.

large_gbad3745

References:
Andrew Stephenson
Norfolk Annals , A Chronological Record of Remarkable Events in the Nineteeth Century, Vol. 2 , Charles Mackie

The Cromer Lifeboats, by Bob Malster & Peter Stibbons: Poppyland Publishing
The Peerage.

Images:
1.Feature image (and above): Print, ‘The Assembly House, Norwich’ by Mary Lyle, etching on paper, undated (assumed first quarter 20th century) Artist: Mary Lyle (NWHCM : 1971.700.2 – Norfolk Museums Collections)
2. Fanny Kemble, Portrait – Library of Congress collection
3. German Reed (in top hat) with his wife and John Parry and Susan Galton in A Dream in Venice at the Royal Gallery of Illustration, April 1867
4. The Benjamin Bond Cabell II Lifeboat

 

 

By | March 9th, 2017|heritage blogs|0 Comments

Dementia UK: Time for a Cuppa

IMG_6844

The Assembly House Trust was recently contacted by Dementia UK about getting involved in their ‘Time for a Cuppa’ event.

IMG_6837

The Trust was extremely happy to support such a great cause, raising awareness and raising money for people with dementia and their carers.

IMG_6839

The event featured a display of over 18,000 crocheted forget-me-not flowers, each representing one person in Norfolk facing dementia.

IMG_6840

The Assembly House Trust worked with Richard Hughes and his team to provide tea, coffee and cake for the event.

IMG_6842

The event also featured an Admiral Nurse Clinic, providing help and support to those with dementia and their carers.

IMG_6838

Over the next few months The Assembly House Trust will be working with Dementia UK and other organisations to improve our accessibility to those with dementia.

For more information on ‘Time for a Cuppa’ visit www.dementiauk.org

By | March 7th, 2017|Uncategorized|0 Comments

Moving on: The early Assembly House

The late seventeenth and early eighteenth century saw an increased desire for a real venue in the heart of the city. Various establishments were used mostly inns including the White Swan in St Peter’s Street and other public houses around Castle Ditches and St Stephens, now Castle Meadow. Nothing was really suitable, either too small, too cramped or just inadequate.

Chapply Field house continued to be let both as rooms and the croft. In 1753 seven Aldermen of the City; William Crowe, William Flemming, Daniel Ganning, John Gay, Jeremiah Ives, Robert Rogers and Samuel Harvey took a lease out for 500 years from the then owner Sir John Hobart III, They had their eye firmly on the prize. A year later with 24 other local notaries they signed a deed of covenant to run a venue for entertainment; a place for assemblies, cards and bowls and balls. These people included Sir John Hobart, Sir William Harbord, The Honourable George Townsend and Sir Randall Ward plus notable local business owners such as Ralph Smith, a Dyer, John Ives and John Woodrow, Worsted weavers, and Joseph Chamberlin, a Grocer. And so the rebuilding began.

The Assembly House is at its heart the work of Thomas Ivory with the interiors additionally credited to James Burroughs of Cambridge. Ivory was a busy man; in 1756 he was working on the Neo-Palladian Octagon Chapel in Colegate. He was also responsible for building the Norwich Theatre, The Methodist Meeting House in Bishopgate, Houses in Surrey Street and the Artillery Barracks, now Ivory House. Forming an impressive portfolio of buildings in the city in addition to his work on extending and developing parts of Blickling Hall.

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

The central part of the building had been the Hobart’s house. This was believed to have largely been pulled down and rebuilt ‘with elegant bricks in a very grand and polite taste’, with the wings remaining but redeveloped. During some renovations in 1901 when the building was the Girls High School windows were added to the music room and a discovery was made; behind the Georgian brick and stucco plasterwork some of the core of Hobart’s house remained with parts of the main walls which were part of the College still in-situ although heavily masked by these later works. Further evidence was uncovered in the works of the late 1940s.

The main fabric of the building was then much as we see it today, the same detailing and splendour despite the changes and modification made by people over time; The Hobart and Ivory Rooms were card rooms, The Music Room; originally called the Long Room and the Grand Hall the Ball Room, the layout and detailing remains largely consistent with what we see today.

The Assembly Rooms opened in 1755 a year before the Octagon Chapel in Colegate. The newly built and refurbished property included bowling on a newly laid green, plenty of room for assemblies, meetings, cards, dancing, music and guild balls for the local gentry to present themselves.

V0049213 A country dance in a long hall; the elegance of the couple o Credit: Wellcome Library, London. Wellcome Images images@wellcome.ac.uk http://wellcomeimages.org A country dance in a long hall; the elegance of the couple on the left contrasts with the ridiculous poses of the more rustic figures beyond representing "unidealized" humanity; straight, angular and round shapes. Engraving by William Hogarth. By: William HogarthPublished: 5 March 1753 Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons Attribution only licence CC BY 4.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Over the next 80 Years, the Assembly House became a buzzing centre for activity. There were events to celebrate The Peace in 1802, an evening to celebrate Queen Charlotte’ birthday, and perhaps most impressive of all a ball to celebrate Nelson’s Victory at Trafalgar. It was to become the place for civic entertainment and for the notables of the county; the mayors, sheriffs, aldermen and dignitaries, Clergy, MPs and important families from across Norfolk; the Walpoles, Wodehouses, Suffields, Windhams and Bacons graced the balls, danced and ate their fill, the building a social and economic heart for the county.

1800s smallerActivities were not confined to purely prestigious occasions; subscription dances and concerts took place from the mid 1780s. There were gymnastic displays, juggling, strongmen and in 1819 a display by Madame Tussaud’s of waxworks of ‘Princes, queens, princesses, heroes, statesmen, poets and divines’. There were Crape Balls to help raise funds for unemployed weavers in the city.

The building was also used by societies, in particular masons and guilds; One in particular The Union Lodge of Freemasons; was a fixture from 1818 for a period of 15 years. This would have seen the painters of the Norwich School John Sell Cotman and John Crome taking supper with members of the Gurney family and other brethren within the walls of the house. It was in the latter part of this period when the Assemblies were at their peak that Frank Noverre discovered the popularity of Polka Balls, a name which is synonymous with the area still today.

It was during this same period that Sir Thomas Churchman, Mayor of Norwich planted avenues of Elms in Chapelfield and Thomas Ivory took ownership and developed the New Theatre which soon received Royal Assent and become the Theatre Royal. The Theatre was originally nearer Chapelfield gardens but was rebuilt in 1825 on the site closer to the Assembly House we are familiar with. The elms in the parkland have also since been replaced with native limes. The Assembly House with the street line, park and theatre would be a familiar reflection of the streets we see today.

Main Image: Theatre Plaice, James Sillett 1828.

Inset 1: Wall cores of Hobart’s House revealed in 1948/1949 works.

Engraving: A country dance in a long hall; the elegance of the couple, Hogarth, 1753 (Wellcome Images CCBY4.0)

Inset 2: A handbill advertising events at The Assembly House, January 1825. (Assembly House Trust Collection – You can see this item framed next to the reception desk on the right)

 

By | March 6th, 2017|heritage blogs|0 Comments

Time of change: Chapply Field House

After the dissolution the destruction of chapels like St Mary de Campo across the country gained pace with an explosion in demolitions. As the church shifted so did how it viewed and managed properties. This resulted in the deconsecration and sale of various buildings. In Norwich St Mary was just one loss in a long list that included St Olaves, St Mary Unbrent, St Crouch, and St Vedast, along with Whitefriars and Greyfriars and a huge number other ecclesiastic buildings priories and friaries.

Subsequently as these were dismantled building work also started to take place; consolidation and expansion of other churches, such as St Andrew and St Clement, and development or rebuilding of notable properties such as Augustine Steward House, Suckling Hall, and Samson and Hercules House mortared these buildings so firmly into the street pattern of the city for centuries to come.

After Miles Spenser’s death in 1569 what remained of the property on the site was left to his nephew William Yaxley. He in turn sold the property to Thomas Cornwallis of Suffolk, the eldest son of Sir John Cornwallis a steward to the household of King Edward VI.

Speed 1616 map

Thomas, an MP for Suffolk was directly involved in the suppression of Kett’s rebellion of 1549 on the side of the Crown. He was captured by the rebels and only released when the Earl of Warwick’s forces quashed the revolt. Cornwallis’ support for Queen Mary saw him appointed to the Privy Council and eventually he became Comptroller of the Household before being relieved of his post when Elizabeth I, whose sympathies lay elsewhere, came to the throne.

Between 1573 and 1586 a wealthy and now retired Sir Thomas set about converting and rebuilding what was now known as Chapel of the Field House He created a new hall and gallery, and added a kitchen stables, tennis court and formal gardens were laid out. The house passed to his son Charles for £1000 in 1603. Charles an ambassador in Madrid probably never lived here and in 1609 Chapply Field House was sold.

The property was bought by Sir Henry Hobart, Attorney General, Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, and also the MP for Norwich. Such was his influence and eminence nationally that the corporation saw fit to gift back parts of the site to him. They also leased the original croft and fields back to him too, forming the site into an impressive estate. Part of the croft now forms what we know as Chapelfield Gardens. It was a prudent move given his stature at the time. Henry is probably most famous for initiating the rebuilding of Blickling Hall on the original site of the Falstaff and the Boleyn house using the beautiful designs of Robert Lyminge.

On his death in 1625 the lease passed to his son Sir John Hobart the 2nd Baronet, who represented Norfolk in Parliament. He was also a member of the much vaunted Long Parliament of 1640 to 1660 and another eminent character in the human landscape of both the county and the country. Sir John married twice. He and his second wife Frances employed John Collinges a nonconformist theologian and had a Chapel created in the house for him.

After Sir John’s death Frances continued to live in and look after the house and grounds, Collinges continued to lecture in the chapel whilst being the vicar of St Stephens until being removed at the restoration in 1660 and was banned from using the Chapel at Chapply Field House when an act was passed restraining religious meetings. He continued to lecture independently from the old granary behind Blackfriars and a building in Colegate which was eventually replaced by the Octagon Chapel one of the earliest Methodist Chapels in the world.

The house passed to Sir John Hobart the third baronet on Frances death. Sir John was a staunch Parliamentarian and became High Sheriff of Norfolk, a much respected man under whom Chapply Field House became a headquarters for local Whig activity in the city. The Hobarts at this point moved themselves back to Blickling Hall.

Under John and his son Henry the house was leased out with an agreement that the Hobart’s could still enjoy a very limited use of two chambers when required. The site falls into historical silence. Animals grazing on the croft again and lodgers staying quietly within the walls.

Images:
Feature image: Detail from Cleer’s map of Norwich 1696.
Map: Speed’s map of 1616.

Inset portrait: Chief Justice, Sir Henry Hobart. Public Domain – Wikipedia/National Trust Collection.
Inset portrait:
John CollingesGustavus Ellinthorpe Sintzenich, Mansfield College, University of Oxford

 

By | February 28th, 2017|heritage blogs|0 Comments

The Noverre Cinema: Some Like It Hot

SOME LIKE IT HOT, Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, 1959

This Spring the ballroom of The Assembly House will once again become the Noverre Cinema, holding a public screening for the first time in over twenty years.

The Assembly House Trust are teaming up with Cinema City Education to revive one of Norwich’s long-lost cinemas for a special screening of Hollywood classic ‘Some Like It Hot’ starring Marilyn Monroe.

The event also marks the opening of a new exhibition charting the history of The Assembly House, as part of a year of events celebrating the history of the building.

Audience members are encouraged to arrive early to browse the exhibition and enjoy a selection of local archive films.

 

Event information:

Some Like It Hot (PG)

Exhibition opens from 6pm

Archive Films from 7pm

Main Feature 7.30pm

Tickets £8

Tickets are available online or by calling 01603 625 145

 

Some Like It Hot (PG) 1959

Director Billy Wilder’s Hollywood classic, featuring an iconic performance from Marilyn Monroe.

Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon play jazz musicians on the run after witnessing the St Valentine’s Day massacre, masquerading in drag as members of an all-girl band to escape the clutches of Chicago mobster George Raft.

Each man has his own problems; one falls for another band member but can’t tell her his gender, and the other has a rich suitor who will not take “No,” for an answer.

By | February 28th, 2017|Event, Heritage|0 Comments

The early site: The Chapel and college of St Mary in the Fields

One of the most remarkable things about any landscape urban or rural isn’t so much what you can see as what you can’t, and how what is there covers up what was. The Assembly House sits in an area of the city which would have been just on the edge of the Norman settlement, and would have been crofts and fields on the edge of the as yet unwalled settlement of Norwich.

In 1248 the land was granted to John Le Brun, he was the founder of the hospital of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the site. His brothers gave the advowson or legal right to their churches; St Mary Unbrent, St George Tombland and St Andrew. In 1278 Le Brun became the Dean of what was now a secular college, it contained quite a large and community with a Chancellor and a Treasurer, a Precentor to lead the singing, Prebendaries who effectively administered it as an entity and drew a stipend from its endowments, plus lay-clerks who formed the choir.

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

The Chapel of St Mary in the Field was important, It grew out of a time of tension between the people of the growing city and the power of the cathedral; The dedication to Mary and the foundation of the Guild of Corpus Christi may relate to Le Brun’s possible involvement in the riots against the cathedral in Tombland, and his trying to curry favour with the Pope. As an entity the chapel and college provided a bridge with the cathedral associating with the people and the city. As a result it received civic funds, bequests and support from the city. In addition in 1388 the college acquired the advowson to St Peter Mancroft, then in a particularly poor state. It also held several other churches in Norfolk, bringing the total including the Chapel in the fields to nine.

The college chancel was rebuilt between 1425 and 1435, with other areas restored from 1444 a rood loft built in 1501. During this period before the Guildhall was built it had come to be used as a meeting place for the corporation, so there is a longer tradition of assemblies hidden within this previous use of the site.

The College ceased to be at the dissolution in 1544 under the last Dean,  Miles Spenser, when it was surrendered to Henry VIII. Two year later the site was granted back to Spenser now the Archdeacon of Norwich, the chapel was demolished as was his legal obligation. The remaining buildings were slowly demolished and sold while part of the college was turned into his residence.

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

The streets and places around it echo with memory of the site, Chapelfield Gardens was originally part of the precinct and close which originally stretched back to the city wall and the Chapply Fields or Chapelfield stretched almost as far as St Giles Gate, and the name Chapelfield is synonymous with the area still, Lady Lane, now under The Forum was the processional way to the Church. The Chantry and Chantry Road both remember an aspect of it too.

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

Bits of the building live on; some of the fabric of the building still exists in the current Assembly House, the footprint of the music room, tea room and ballroom match the original Great Hall and Parlour and some material exists in that building fabric including a Tudor window frames bricked into a wall. When you walk through the gates and cross to the steps you walk across the original Aisles and Nave of the church, walk past the tower of the chapel now buried under the gallery and theatre. Once inside you are standing in the the cloisters. The bells from the church now live in St Lawrence. Part of the crypt still exists under the east wing with an impressive vaulted ceiling and an area of floor which appear to be original tile and dates back to the foundation of the college. In the corridor you will find a stone plaque, the merchant’s mark of the Browne family of Norwich. It was excavated in 1901 from the North Aisle of the Church. It is also worth noting that Browne rebuilt the Nave of St Stephens in 1550, is it quite possible this was done using material from the College and Chapel. Two Brownes were mayors of Norwich and are both believed to be a descended from the original le Brun family.

The Assembly House - Glass Plates

Plates.

St Mary de Campo.

St Mary Conjectured drawings from 1950 based on 1902 archaeological dig, dissolution survey and earlier writing – S Rowland Pierce.

Remains of 12 light window found in North Wall of West Wing 1948/49 (Glass plate)

Inset: Stone shield with merchant’s mark found in the ruins of the Chapel in 1902 believed to belong to the Browne/le Brun family. (Glass plate)

Overlain plan of The Assembly House pre-1950 showing the position of the original college of the Chapel in the Fields – S Rowland Pierce.

Thanks to Dr Nicholas Groves for his assistance with this post.

Sources: Blomfield, Groves and Stephenson.

By | February 22nd, 2017|heritage blogs|0 Comments

The Noverre Cinema returns to The Assembly House

Noverre Cinema 3

The Noverre Cinema returns to The Assembly House

On Friday 21st April the ballroom of The Assembly House will be once again become the Noverre Cinema and will hold a public screening for the first time in over twenty years.

The Assembly House Trust is teaming up with Cinema City Education to revive one of Norwich’s long-lost cinemas for one-night-only.

The much-missed cinema is returning as part of a year of activities celebrating the heritage of one of Norwich’s most beloved public buildings. The event will be accompanied by a special exhibition charting the history of The Assembly House.

Noverre Cinema

The title of the film and ticket details are still to be announced but we are keen to collect memories of the cinema for as part of the event.

What are your memories of the Noverre Cinema?

Get in touch by emailing info@assemblyhousetrust.org.uk or tweeting @AHHeritage

Noverre Cinema 2

About The Noverre Cinema

For more than 40 years, the Noverre served as a popular city cinema which screened a diverse range of films including non-commercial and arthouse releases.

Located in a former ballroom at the Assembly House in Norwich, the cinema took its name from the Noverre family who taught classical dance there during the 18th Century.

Prior to the Noverre’s opening, the Assembly House underwent extensive restoration work between 1948 and 1950 for a cost of £70,000. When it re-opened in November 1950 the building was complete with music rooms, a banquet room and exhibition room, in addition to the arts cinema.

A raked floor was installed which accommodated 272 seats. The cinema was well equipped with two 35mm projectors, two 16mm projectors and modern sound installation.

The Noverre is fondly remembered for its Saturday morning kids’ club, seating with plenty of leg room, showing no adverts before films and for not selling ice creams or popcorn. The most popular film it screened was Cabaret, which was shown on 11 different occasions.

The Norfolk & Norwich Film Theatre began showing films at the Noverre in 1966 before moving into their permanent venue, Cinema City on St Andrews Street, in 1978. The NNFT screened a variety of, sometimes controversial, foreign and arthouse pictures that were otherwise unavailable to view in Norfolk.

The Noverre closed its doors on 23 December 1992.

 

By | February 22nd, 2017|Uncategorized|0 Comments

Phoenix Heritage Project

Assembly House - George Plunkett 1935

This year marks the twentieth anniversary of The Assembly House’s re-opening following a devastating fire in 1995.

To celebrate this regeneration, The Assembly House Trust are organising an exciting programme of events exploring the heritage of this landmark building.

Keep an eye on our Heritage Project page for regular updates as we trawl through The Assembly House archive.

Do you have memories of The Assembly House?

Send your stories to info@assemblyhousetrust.org.uk or tweet @AHHeritage

F1E1C037-8647-4E36-A5F6-37176089A0FF.JPG

Exhibition: The Assembly House

Friday 21st April – Saturday 27th May

The Phoenix Heritage Project begins with an exhibition charting the history of The Assembly House and the thriving community that uses it.

Beginning on 21st April, the exhibition will share previously unseen archive material related to the heritage of the site and its place in the city; stories of the building, its history and people including previously unseen and archived photographs and documents.

By | February 22nd, 2017|Exhibition, Heritage|0 Comments